Despite the diversity of New York City, Steinway street is different for me. It feels as if God is showing me a map with a red arrow and a clarifying “You are here” hovering over Steinway Street. This is very well what my life might look like for the next year while I’m in North Africa.
What are these people really like? What are their hopes, longings, and hurts?
- A woman escorting her aging mother to the doctor.
- A Lebanese man selling pastries.
- A man with a leg injury, lingering outside of the mosque.
- An middle-aged Egyptian couple–he sipping coffee and she rattling Arabic, hoping for someone to see her beyond the Alzheimer’s.
- A young lady with heavy, dark makeup–guarded and watchful.
- A sales clerk turning every hopeful conversation into a potential sale.
“They don’t know! They don’t know You.”