It’s just another day here in Spain. It’s strange celebrating holidays that aren’t celebrated in our country of residence. The world around us zips by at its normal pace while we baste a turkey or set off fireworks and grill burgers. Once, I even celebrated Christmas in North Africa. That was the strangest of all.
Thanksgiving is an American holiday, so even though my team lives in Spain, we plan to celebrate. My roommate is basting the turkey as I write. The green beans and sweet potatoes are ready to cook. The pies are done. The table set.
I have an appointment at the other end of town this morning, so I won’t be around for the last minute rush before guests arrive. I’ve been delegated to pick up the rest of the wassail ingredients and new light bulbs on my way home.
But before I leave, I decided to write a few things I’m thankful for this year.
- A safe return to Spain last weekend
- Family and friends who make leaving so hard
- A suitcase that arrived after all
- Stage 1 visa paperwork handed in
- A smoky turkey aroma filling the apartment
- That despite the craziness of our world, God is in control
- A fluffy blond niece who asked me yesterday, “What color is your imagination?”
- A thrill when I think about the future and the God who holds it
- Freedom to get out and about even while under covid restrictions
- The mountains and the sea in the same view– How I missed you!
By no means is that an exhaustive list. But I wanted to give you time to write your own list. What are you thankful for?
One thought on “Happy Thanksgiving!”
Happy Thanksgiving!! Something I’ve been thinking about recently- I’m so grateful for a God Who continually pursues me, even during those times when my love wanes or He seems far away. And I’m really thankful for people. 😊 Love you!! ❤