Looking for a warm drink to carry you through winter? This is still one of my favorite drink recipes, although it’s more American than Asian. (I am still learning how to make the real stuff.)
- 2 c. water
- 2 chai or black tea bags , or 2 Tbsp. (4 g) if using loose leaf tea
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1/4 tsp. ground)
- 6 cardamom seeds, crushed (or 1/2 tsp. ground)
- 1 whole clove (or 1/8 tsp. ground)
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 1⁄2 c. milk
- 1/4 – 1/3 c. (50-67 g) sugar
Combine everything except milk and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in milk, return to a boil for 1 minute. Stir in sugar (to taste) and strain before serving. Garnish with whipped cream, if desired.
4 thoughts on “Recipe: chai”
Thank you. Now I need to add some more spices to my crowded cupboard. 😬
I think all of those spices should be in your cupboard already, dear sister. They’re staples. 🙂
Nope. I’ve never needed cardamom before.
Hmm. I use it often, but I tend to cook Asian dishes.