- Goodbyes make you wish you could go without leaving
- Goodbyes are dark clouds that overcast the blue sky of the future and cry raindrops on the path of the present.
- Goodbyes wear like a nagging pebble in your shoe, making it difficult to think of anything else on your journey.
- Goodbyes are the question mark that punctuate a calling.
- Goodbyes welcome a corresponding door of opportunity.
Here I am at the coffee shop, thinking that there’s just something melancholy about today.
Dark clouds sprinkle the sky, peppering brick storefronts with moving shadows. Somehow watching the sun and rain play tag makes me not want to go.
I got my ticket today; I’m excited! ecstatic! but also nostalgic. Am I ready to introduce another home to my heart? Can I really say goodbye to life as it is?
These aren’t doubts exactly because I already know the answer to these questions is “yes.” But must feeling fulfilled in a calling always be preceded by a bittersweet release? Perhaps I just want to have my cake and eat it too…
The drying sun scalds A tree of drooping red pods The humming planes are low enough To brush with jealous fingertips Shrubbery sprawls over landscape Like frazzled starfish A name--Jason--engraved In concrete not yet dry A squeaking rope fastens A willful flag to its pole Windows of a lonely skyscraper Glow pink in sleepy sunlight Choruses of weary air conditioners Ricochet between adobe houses Breezes dance along baked concrete And chase us inside